Friday, December 13, 2019

Marge Koppi

I'm having so much fun painting these old slides. This one is my Great Aunt Marge Koppi, from whom all the slides came. She was wonderful at documenting life via photos and super 8 movies, and she kept them all so organized and clearly labeled for posterity. She never married or had children of her own, but she loved all her nieces and nephews and her great-nieces and nephews so much and was very involved and interested in their lives. She was funny and always had a twinkle in her eye. She used to often call me a "little Dickens". When my cousins and I moved away from home and went off to college, she used to make us her signature popcorn cakes (like a popcorn ball, but in cake form, with lots of gum drops), and mail them to us. I wish she were still with us, because I think she'd get a kick out of her old slides turning into paintings.  Incidentally, I named my cat Koppi (pronounced "KO-pee") after her.

I don't think my painting particularly looks like her (see reference photo below), but at this point I'm just excited it looks like a human. :)  Hopefully getting resemblance will come with more practice.

Marge Koppi - acrylic on 12x12 in. gessobord

Original photo. Isn't she lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment