Friday, December 6, 2019

Great Grandma Koppi

Venturing out with another person painting here. This is my great grandma Koppi, in the '50s. Our lives didn't intersect at all - she died years before I was born. My grandma told me this photo was taken in her sister's basement. (And my grandma still has that rocking chair!) I think it was for a family Easter gathering, based on the other slides nearby in the same box. I have a ton of old family slides from my great aunt Marge, so I'm looking forward to scanning and painting more of them in the future.

I was hesitant (aka scared) to paint the print on her dress and was tempted to leave it plain, but I'm glad I went for it because I think it adds a lot to the painting.

In retrospect I think the wall and the floor are a little too "warm", compared to the cooler/grayer tones of the original photo. Something to keep in mind for the next one.


Great Grandma Koppi - acrylic on 12x12 inch gessobord panel


Reference photo - Theresa Koppi, from the photo collection of Marge Koppi


No comments:

Post a Comment