Friday, June 29, 2018

More than just a pretty tail

The blues in the reference photo I used for this painting were amazing! Unfortunately I could not replicate them exactly.  I hope the background doesn't look overworked, I was going one way with it and then changed direction and went over it with something more subtle and muted.

A fellow painter I know, Robin, had the generous idea of doing one painting a month to donate to Art4shelter's next annual art sale in May 2019. I think that seems like a do-able goal for me, so - just barely, here's one for June.

More than just a pretty tail - Acrylic 5x7 in. on archival cardboard


4 comments:

  1. I think your blues are lovely. I especially like the face!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shading too! Under the chin and down the throat- really makes it believable!
    I'm not sure about that background grey, though- it is really... blank? Dull? Maybe a bit more pearly grey? I like seeing the pinky-orange that shows through between the blue strokes- was that the original background color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I agree about the background color, it is very disconnected. I was getting to that point of being done and just wanted to cover the messed up prior attempt... yup, the original background color was pinky orange. I think it would be nice if more of that showed through the background too, it feels too solid. Maybe I'll try to rescue the background! Pearly grey sounds like a great idea!

      Delete